Wednesday, March 26, 2014

More information about treatment plans

Hello everyone, I wanted to give another update about dad and what our treatment plans are. It has been a busy week thus far and will continue to be that way for the next week and half. The last week has been really difficult for us as we try to process all of this information and deal with the insurance company. Some of this information is repetitive from the last post but these things have been repeated to us so it's worth repeating. 

We continue to learn that there are a lot of factors to consider when treating cancer. The type of cancer it is, size, if it has spread, and how well your liver and kidneys are working seem to be the most important things for us right now. As of yet we have been unable to get a detailed explanation of dad's cancer. To be honest I think the doctors are a little perplexed themselves, but I have decided that those details are not as important because we know it is a liver cancer and the treatment options are the same depending on all of those factors I just mentioned. 

I would have to write a book to even begin to explain all of the details that we have been given but I can fill you in on what our treatment plans are. We are still waiting to start a specific oral chemo, we were excited last week that there was one thing they thought could slow down the progression of the cancer but we are still waiting on the medication because of the insurance paperwork. All of that has been done now so we hope to get it by FedEx tomorrow or Friday. 

Next we are waiting to get things in order to go and get a second opinion from MD Anderson. They are considered the best choice for the possibility of a clinical trial and Levine is helping us get in. Again, once the insurance paperwork is completed we will get an appointment with MD Anderson made. We are hopeful that they can see him very soon. 

We met with the liver surgeon's NP yesterday for surgical follow-up and we asked every possible question imaginable just like we have done with any doctor we see. We want to make sure we explore every possibility for treatment and there are actually a lot of treatment options out there but, in dad's case it keeps coming back to 'what is the risk versus the benefit'. The liver is such an important organ and needs to be working it's best so he doesn't get toxic. All surgical options are too risky for bleeding.

Today dad met with his oncologist again and had more lab work done. The doctor is concerned for the kidneys and has referred us to a specialist. We are waiting on that appointment to be made. He is still anemic and will be getting another blood transfusion tomorrow. Overall, dad says he feels better everyday and his fluid retention is decreasing everyday so we don't understand why the labs are off some, as I have said this is all very complicated. 

Please continue to pray for comfort and healing for dad. He appreciates your visits, cards and messages. I will post again when I have more news. Please pray that any news will be good news. 

I wanted to share another scripture;  

"Surely he hath borne our griefs (literal Hebrew = “sicknesses”),
and carried our sorrows (pains):
yet we did esteem him stricken smitten of God, and afflicted.
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities
the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."

Isaiah 53:4-5

Be sure to check out the new pages.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.